
Achievements are my second favorite aspect of the Xbox360 (the games are the first, duh). They are a lot of fun and add more to the experience. They make you explore a game in ways you would not have done without the them. They encourage you to give different modes of play a chance where you wouldn't have in the first place. What they don't do is entice me to buy random crap. Well they do now!!!! Well at least if I was going to play an EA game again (although skate. looks very enticing).
I don't really expect anything less from EA as they continue their reign at the top, doing what they please, and getting away with roster updates for full price. But this is quite low, even for them. I can understand the case for advertising in game if it helps flesh out a photo-realistic game environment. Still, it must be done with the utmost of care in order to not be distracting. I understand that there are only three achievements with the ad in them but it feels like they're feeling the waters. EA doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to Live and downloadable content.
The soft ding that accompanies an achievement has created somewhat of a Pavlovian response for me where I yearn to hear it again. Seeing an advertisement pop up when quickly shed me of the positive reinforcement that keeps me playing your game. Oh wait, I don't play your games EA. Carry on if you think that's what your buyers want.
No comments:
Post a Comment