Monday, May 07, 2007

THQ lessens dependence on Multiplatform

This was news a while back but it concerns my company and I’m just now getting around to writing about it. Going forward, according to our boss of bosses, we will focus less on getting every sku on every platform imaginable. The problem with doing this in the past was that it definitely took its toll on some of our past titles. These titles may not have suffered financially, but most definitely technically and aesthetically. I think it is quite well known that in the last generation, many games start development on the PS2 and are ported to other systems. There are a hundred million plus PS2’s out there and it makes sense to start there and work your way down. It made business sense; it just was not good practice as far as making the best game possible for each platform.

I am very excited to see that this will change and can say that the writing was on the wall. I look forward to working on our games that are built from the ground up for a specific platform and specific player. At THQ, we have a huge caste of licensed games which make up the majority of our line-up. This will not change. But I am more and more confident in our upcoming original intellectual property. The onus is now on our developers to step up and make each version of the game stand up on its own merits. My focus is on the Nintendo platforms, so I will be dealing with the Wii and DS titles that come down the pipeline (as the GameCube and GBA are in their last throes). While we may not have been a catalyst for a more enlightened implementation of these great and creatively demanding platforms, I’m of that the opinion that no one has, not even Nintendo themselves. There is huge potential and the future looks promising.

No comments: