Throughout this blog I have expressed my displeasure of the Wii console. Therefore I pleasantly surprised by the news announced this week from Nintendo. Coming later this year to the Wii is WiiWare, a platform for new games to be delivered to the console in a similar fashion as virtual console games.
Yeah!
I have to say this is very exciting. I love the Xbox Live Arcade format and think the Wii could also harbor a great deal of fun and unique titles. I think the indie developers will rise to the challenge and create some awesome original content. Furthermore, the major developers will also have an outlet for some of the crazier ideas they come up with but the publishers aren't ready to take a gamble on. In any case, the real winners are the gamers. We'll get more games that aim to create new experiences utilizing the Wii Remote.
Now the bad.
With all the great new content coming and the re-release of classic content, those tiny, 512MB hard drives are filling up fast. Not only is there no easy way to currently deal with the problem (delete and download again or save to an SD card as the memory becomes tight), Nintendo has categorically squashed any notion that there will be a add-on hard drive for the Wii. This is just one more nail in the coffin for me. On a system who's main selling point is a wealth of back catalog of titles, it seems that they should have had a long term solution for storage. A 512MB hard drive always seemed small. I already have numerous devices (including my phone) that currently have more storage. This is just starting to look silly now. Without a user friendly method of dealing with the storage issue, it is as if they built in a shelf life. Maybe this is more indication that the Wii 2.0 is not so far fetched after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment