Thursday, March 06, 2008

Insert Foot in Mouth Week

There seems to be a running theme for developer quotes this week. Firstly, Greg Donovan, Producers for Saint's Row 2, lowered every ones expectations by reminding us that the game "won't be bug free" since no game is. Working in QA, I know the truth far too well on the bugs that get through to the final product but stating this up front is not getting off on the right foot.

Not to worry though, because Spark CEO Craig Allen one upped Donovan by telling us why most of us don't like his game, Turing Point: Fall of Liberty.
Turning Point, the idea there was really a high concept idea. I think that we're finding that the people who look at it like, "Is this going to be fun, something I can drop into, in a world I haven't seen before and have a good time?" really love the game. People that are looking at it with more of a critical eye of "Is this game revolutionary, is it doing play mechanics I've never seen before, is it driving new technology?" it was never meant to do those things. If people look at it in the right way, I think they really enjoy what they see. You can certainly look at it and say it's not revolutionary, so those opinions are certainly a lot more critical.
I guess that explains why I didn't like the demo at all. Not only am I not smart enough to get the concept but this first person shooter is not for core gamers. Duh!!!

No comments: